There are four types of road systems located in Grey County.
- Provincial Highways
- County Roads
- Local Municipal Roads
- Private roads
Roads can be identified using Grey County’s GIS Maps.
There are five major highways in Grey County: 6, 10, 21, 26 and 89. These roads are the responsibility of the Ministry of Transportation. Questions can be directed to the Owen Sound office at 519-376-7350.
County roads are the responsibility of Grey County and are named numerically (Grey Road 1, Grey Road 2 etc). Questions related to Grey County roads should be directed to 519-376-7337 or submitted by e-mail.
Local Municipal Roads
Local roads are the responsibility of Grey County’s nine member municipalities. Local roads have common names such as Henry Street, Concession 1, 3rd Line etc. For questions related to these roads, contact the local municipality.
Private roads are owned and maintained by individuals, groups of property owners, or businesses. These are normally found in private developments, waterfronts or cottages.
Road Salt Management
Grey County winters can be challenging. Fortunately, County staff have the knowledge and technology needed to keep roads safe and respect the environment.
Here’s how Grey County uses road salt to melt ice during the winter.
- All plows are equipped with special electronic controls that regulate how much salt is applied to the road. Plow operators set these controls based on the current weather and road conditions so salt is applied efficiently.
- All salt is treated with a liquid deicer so it works faster and at colder temperatures. It also helps salt stick to the road better when it lands and leaves behind a residue that prevents more snow and ice from forming.
- Rubber mounted blades on plows clean road surfaces more aggressively so less salt is needed.
- Every plow has a GPS to track salt usage and ensure it is being applied correctly.
The amount of salt used each year depends on weather conditions. It can vary from as little as 10,000 tonnes to more than 18,000 tonnes. Grey County works hard to meet the minimum maintenance standards set by the Ministry of Transportation, and service the levels approved by Grey County Council. We will continue to explore new technologies to improve our salt management plan and practices.
Adopt a Highway Program
School Spring Litter Pick-up
ATVs on County Roads
Grey County is conducting a one-year pilot program to allow all-terrain vehicles and side-by-side off-road vehicles (ATVs) on certain Grey County roads. Grey County Council will review the pilot by September, 2017.
- ATVs are allowed on all County Roads except those specified under Schedule A of the ATV by-law (see pamphlet below).
- ATVs are permitted from sunrise until sunset from May 1 to November 10.
- ATVs must be licensed and insured.
- Drivers must follow all other laws, including Highway Traffic Act and Off-Road Vehicles Act.
This pilot applies to Grey County roads only. For details about local roads, contact your municipality.
Construction and Resurfacing 2018-2022
The Construction and Resurfacing Map shows tentative road and structure projects for the next five years. This map is for planning purposes only. All projects are subject to County Council approval and priority may change based on condition of the roads.
Requests for Fill Materials
Grey County collects large amounts of soil and granular material each year when maintaining our ditches and completing certain projects. This material can’t be reused by Grey County but it has many uses for land owners. It can be used to fill low areas, widen driveways, grow saplings and more.
If you are a Grey County landowner and you’re interested in receiving this material, let us know. You may be eligible if work is happening near your property. The material will be provided completely free and delivered to an accessible location on your property.
For more information contact Graham Wilson at email@example.com or call 519‑372‑0219 ext. 1252.
- Reduced Load Restrictions Map (Typically March 1 - May 1)
- Tree Cutting and Brushing Map
- ATVs on County Roads
Grey County Map Book
Map books are available for purchase for $6.10 + HST ($6.89). Please contact Monica Scribner firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
To download current Map Book pages, please click on the links below
INDEX (597 KB)