Skip to main content

Apply for Affordable Housing

Before applying for subsidized housing, please ensure you meet eligibility and have all support documentation necessary. 

Table of Contents


You may be eligible for subsided housing support if you meet the following criteria:

  • At least one member of the household is 16 years or older (all members over 16 will need to sign an electronic declaration)
  • All members of the household are Canadian Citizens, Landed Immigrants (Permanent Residents), applicants for permanent resident status, refugee, or refugee claimants
  • No member of the household is currently under a deportation, departure or exclusion order to leave Canada
  • No member of the household owes money to any social housing provider or has been convicted of an offence related to rent-geared-to-income assistance or found by the court of law or the Ontario Rental Tribunal to have misrepresented their income for the purpose of rent-geared-to-income assistance
  • Your household assets are below the local maximum asset limits, $50,000.00
  • Your household income is below the limits set by the province (see below

The province has set income & asset limits in the Housing Services Act 2011, for rent
geared to income housing. These limits are set yearly by the province
The yearly income limits for 2022 are:

  • $27,000.00 for a bachelor unit
  • $34,000.00 for a one-bedroom unit
  • $40,500.00 for a two-bedroom unit
  • $45,000.00 for a three-bedroom unit
  • $59,500.00 for a four-bedroom unit

Applicants’ total assets cannot exceed $50,000.00. Please note that total assets include real estate.

Please inform our office if you do not fall within the above income and / or asset limits, you are ineligible for subsidized housing if you exceed these limits.
For further information, please contact Grey County Housing at 519-376-5744 ext.1211. 

Other Requirements

Be prepared to:

  • Upload/scan documentation clearly indicating your legal right to live in Canada and proof of age for all household members (eg. Birth Certificate, passport, permanent resistant card etc.).
  • Create a password that is 10 characters (1 upper case, 1 lower case, 1 number and 1 symbol).

Have you applied for social housing in the past?

If you have applied for social housing in the past or you are already on the waiting list, you HAVE a registration code and you can manage your application online, please review the information below before registering your account.

As an existing applicant it is important that you do not create a new account. Having more than one application may create delays and make your wait time longer.

First Time Accessing your Account Online? You need to register your account before you can make any changes.

To Register Your Account You Will Need The Following Information:

  • Registration Code
  • First Name
  • Last Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Email Address

If you do not have the information listed above, please contact Grey County Housing and request an Online Registration Letter.

If you have never applied for housing and are not on the waiting list, you do NOT have a registration code and must register an account before you can start a new application online.

Please ensure you meet basic eligibility (listed above) before starting your application.

Applying Online

If you meet eligiblity requirements and are prepared to apply, you can apply online by clicking the button below, or you can download and print a PDF and submit it to Grey County Housing. 

If you believe you have an active application with Grey County Housing please do not create a new account. Please call our office at 519-376-5744 and we will provide your application code to register online.

Apply Online

Guide - Signing Your Online Application

Guide - Adding Documents To Your Online Application

Download Print Application

Grey County

Situated two hours north of Toronto, Grey County offers beauty you can’t get in the city.

  • 595 9th Ave East Owen Sound, Ontario N4K 3E3
  • (519) 376-2205 | 1-800-567-4739