Skip to main content

Early Learning and Child Care

Grey County Early Learning and Child Care Services offers programs, subsidies and information for parents and a range of supports for agencies and child care providers. 


Table of contents

About Grey County Early Learning and Child Care

Fee subsidy is available in either a licensed Home Child Care and /or Child Care Centres programs. The subsidy program is offered to eligible families and caregivers in need to make child care more affordable. Additional information on applying and eligibility criteria for subsidized child care is available in the Fee Subsidy section below. 

Child Care Programs are supported by Grey County Child Care Services and licensed by the Ministry of Education to ensure programs continue to meet provincial standards.  

EarlyON Child and Family Centres are community hubs where parents, caregivers and children can start making connections and building relationships that are essential to realizing a child's full potential. EarlyON Centres can helps families and caregivers find programs where they can learn, grow and connect together.

EarlyON Information

EarlyON Child and Family Centres

Looking for licensed child care?

Find child care

Monthly Parental Contribution Requirement Calculator

Use this subsidy calculator to determine your monthly contribution amount for child care subsidy assistance. Please note that this calculator tool is only a guidance and is subject to change during the childcare subsidy application process.​​

Do not include a "$" sign when you enter line 236 of your Notice of Assessment.

Monthly Parental Contribution Requirement Calculator

Use this subsidy calculator to determine your monthly contribution amount for child care subsidy assistance. Please note that this calculator tool is only a guidance and is subject to change during the childcare subsidy application process.​​

Do not include a "$" sign when you enter line 236 of your Notice of Assessment.

Home Child Care

Licensed home child care provides families with a variety of childcare options, eg. full/part-time, shift-work, overnight and evening care for up to 6 children.  The home child care program strives to offer high quality care, nutritious meals and snacks, and learning opportunities for providers. 

Grey County Children’s Services is licensed annually by the Ministry of Education to support the home child care program.

Grey County Children’s Services carefully screens and selects potential providers. Once their home has been approved, our Home Child Care Workers monitor the homes to ensure the provider continues to meet the standards of the Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014 and Grey County’s policies and procedures.

Grey County Children’s Services home child care program is licensed by the Ministry of Education.  Grey County home child care providers have an advantage of ongoing support of qualified staff to help provide the highest quality child care program and have training opportunities in child care related topics.  Providers are carefully selected and visited regularly to ensure that they meet government standards for quality programs and safety.

Home child care providers are self-employed contracted to Grey County Children’s Services to provide child care in your own home. By agreeing to become a home child care provider for the County of Grey, you will be required to adhere to the policies and procedure approved by Grey County Children’s Services and requirements of the Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014.

Fee Subsidy

To qualify for fee subsidy you must demonstrate a financial need and a reason for child care.  Families must have an up-to-date copy of the Notice of Assessment or Canada Child Benefit Notice.  An income test application will be completed by a Children's Services Worker using a copy of your tax information (line 236) and signing the Fee Subsidy Agreement.  The application will determine your portion of child care cost. 

Please be advised that your eligibility for child care fee subsidy must be confirmed by the Children's Services Worker prior to your child starting care.  Should you choose to start your child prior to approval for child care fee subsidy being issued, you will be responsible for full fees during that time.

It is your responsibility to immediately advise your Children’s Services Worker if there are any changes in your situation to continue receiving fee subsidy.

Eligibility Criteria:

  • You must be a resident of Grey County.
  • You and your spouse/partner (if applicable) must file an income tax return every year to continue being eligible for subsidy.  The most current income tax information is required to maintain your subsidy.
  • Parent(s) must be working, attending school, training or skill upgrading courses.   If parents are attending school, a course schedule is required to verify the approved days of care.
  • Written referrals from Public Health, Keystone Child, Youth & Family Services, Bruce Grey Child and Family Services to support why this service is required.

At least once a year you will be required to meet with a Children’s Services Worker to update your file with current information and signatures.  Your file must be kept up to date to be eligible for subsidy. It is important you respond to all correspondence and other request.

To book an appointment with one of our Children’s Services Workers, please call 376-7324 ext. 1363.

Apply online here.


If you are in receipt of Ontario Works and have children under the age of 12 years, Ontario Works may be able to assist with your child care expenses.  It is very important to discuss with your caseworker the type of care which is best for you and your child, as well as how Ontario Works can assist with this expense to help support you in your plan towards independence.

There are two types of child care:

Formal - is provided by a child care facility or a home child care provider licensed under the Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014. There is no maximum cost which may be provided.

Informal - is provided by a person who is not licensed (ie. a relative, neighbour, etc). The maximum amount of the childcare deduction is the actual amount paid up to $600.00 per month for each dependent child.

Contact your Ontario Works caseworker if you have any questions or concerns regarding your child care needs.

Phone: (519) 376-7324

General e-mail:  socialservices [at] grey.castyle="color:blue; text-decoration:underline"

Grey County Ontario Works

Keystone - Child, Youth & Family Services

Provides counseling services to children and their families.

Owen Sound: (519) 371-4773 / 1-800-567-2384

Grey Bruce Health Unit

Services provided include information, and/or consultation re: parenting, growth, and development, healthy lifestyles and environments. Healthy Babies/Healthy Children, Early Identification program. 

Durham: (519) 369-3318

Flesherton: (519) 924-2420

Owen Sound: (519) 376-9420

Community Living Owen Sound & District

Provides support, advocacy and planning services for developmentally delayed individuals and their families. Owen Sound - 371-9251

Beaver Valley Outreach

Community based organization that includes information, referrals and support groups.

Clarksburg: (519) 599-2577

Bruce Grey Child & Family Services (formerly Children's Aid Society)

Toll Free: 1-855-322-4453

Local: 1-519-371-4453

Bruce Grey Child & Family Services is a team of child protection workers, child and youth workers, lawyers, support and administrative staff working together and in partnership with the community to help families to keep children safe and well

Early Childhood Educator Resources

A career as an Early Childhood Educator in Grey County offers a range of career opportunities and the ability to make a positive, lasting impact in a child’s life.

Working as a registered ECE is more than a job - it's a rewarding career!

Learn more about becoming an ECE in Grey County

The Early Learning Hub is a resource centre hosted by Grey County Child Care & Early Learning Division that is here to support the work of child care and early learning educators within Grey County. The Hub offers a lending library, professional learning opportunities and tools to support the ongoing learning and development of educators within our community. 

Grey County Early Learning Hub Resource Centre

The Canada-Wide Early Learning and Child Care (CWELCC) system is designed to increase access to affordable, quality, licensed child care across the province.

The Province of Ontario has implemented a targeted expansion plan for the system which reflects available funding.

  • The Ministry of Education has set a specific allocation of child care spaces for each municipality based on existing capacity as well as demographic, social and economic factors.
  • In Grey County, a total of 504 spaces were allocated for 2022 to 2026. At this point, those spaces have all been allocated within the existing plan.
  • This means if a child care operator chooses to open additional spaces outside of the existing plan, they are not eligible to enroll those spaces in the CWELCC system.

Operators who are considering opening new or additional spaces are encouraged to reach out to childcare [at] to review their plans with the service system manager prior to proceeding.

Grey County is maintaining a waitlist of operators interested in opening additional spaces and will provide updates as new information becomes available, or if CWELCC system funding availability changes.

For more information on the CWELCC system in Ontario, visit

Still have questions? Contact childcare [at]

Grey County

Situated two hours north of Toronto, Grey County offers beauty you can’t get in the city, along with a lifestyle that is more relaxed and family oriented.

  • 595 9th Ave East Owen Sound, Ontario N4K 3E3
  • (519) 376-2205 | 1-800-567-4739