July 28 Meeting Highlights
Grey County Council met on July 28, 2022 at 10:00 a.m. in the Council Chamber and virtually through Zoom. The meeting was immediately followed by a session of Committee of the Whole. Recordings of the meetings can be found on Grey County’s YouTube Channel.
- Council accepted the minutes of the July 14 Council and Committee of the Whole meetings. Council Committee
- Council accepted the minutes of the July 12 Long-Term Care Committee of Management meeting. Minutes
- Council received the minutes of the May 27 Board of Health meeting. Dr. Zayad provided Council with a verbal update about the status of COVID-19, Monkeypox and the opioid crisis locally. Minutes
Committee of the Whole
- Council discussed a notice of motion brought forward by Councillor Soever regarding the County’s monitoring of they Grey County Official Plan. Council discussed the motion, and it was defeated in a recorded vote.
- Council approved the 2023-2026 Corporate Communication Strategy. Council heard a presentation from Doug MacMillan from The Letter M outlining the findings and recommendations of the strategy. Staff will implement the recommendations which focus on enhancing awareness, improving the engagement, and developing a customer service strategy. Presentation Report
- Council learned about progress on the construction of the new Markdale hospital. John Kurvink, Vice President and CFO of Grey Bruce Health Services, recapped work completed to date and thanked Grey County for the donation of land and funds for the project. Presentation
- Council heard a presentation about the Circle of Support for Newcomer Integration. Presenters from Grey Bruce Local Immigration Partnership, YMCA of Owen Sound Grey Bruce, and Welcoming Communities Grey Bruce spoke about ongoing collaboration that supports the settlement of newcomers to Canada in our communities. Presentation
- Expansion of the Grey Transit Route has been successful with a 240% increase in average ridership since April 1, 2022 but high fuel costs are increasing operating costs. Council received the update and directed staff to prepare a report outlining the short, medium and long-term sustainability of the service. Report
- Grey County will be moving to a Microsoft-based document management system. This software allows the County to organize and retain digital documents and official records. It also supports staff collaboration. A request for proposal will be released to find support in designing, implementing, and migrating to the new system. Report
- Grey County is building a roundabout at the intersection of Grey Roads 3 and 4. The project requires a small acquisition of land from three properties. To date, staff have been unsuccessful in negotiating a price to purchase the necessary land from the property owners. Following a closed session, Council directed staff to continuing negotiating a fair purchase of the necessary property. If an agreement cannot be reached, staff are directed to move forward with expropriation proceedings. Project Information
The Clerk’s Department maintains the official record for Grey County. This publication is intended to provide meeting highlights only. For official records, please refer to the meeting minutes, or contact the Clerk’s Department at 1-800-567-4739.