Grey County Council met on Thursday, September 26 at 9:30 a.m. in the Council Chamber for the regular session of council. The meeting was immediately followed by a session of committee of the whole. A recording of the meetings can be found on Grey County’s YouTube Channel.
- Council accepted the minutes of the September 12 Council meetings. Council
- Council accepted the minutes of the September 12 Committee of the Whole meeting, except the updated Code of Conduct motion which will be discussed again at a future meeting. Committee
Committee of the Whole
- Council discussed asking local municipalities to work with the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) to ensure all properties are appropriately assessed.
- County staff will prepare a report outlining ways local municipalities can update their planning policies to encourage affordable and attainable housing, such as tiny homes.
- Council heard a presentation from the Community Drug and Alcohol Strategy. This community group consists of many partners throughout Grey and Bruce counties. They raise awareness of addiction and substance abuse issues and give opportunities for people with lived experiences of addiction to contribute to programs. Presentation
- Council accepted the 5-year update to Grey County’s Housing and Homelessness Plan. This plan sets objectives that support our vision of housing for all in Grey County. Report Plan
- Grey County will soon need two new tandem trucks. Staff will issue a tender this fall with the expectation of delivery before the 2020/2021 winter season. Report
- Council approved issuing an early tender for pulverizing and paving an 8.0 kilometre section of Grey Road 9 from Grey Road 109 to Grey Road 23. Report
- Planning staff are proposing minor adjustments to the County Official Plan to address a few discrepancies and errors in the mapping and text. A public meeting will be scheduled this fall. Report
- Council extended approval for a plan of subdivision in Dundalk known as Flato East. The extension is to 2024. Report
- Council will hold a strategic planning day on October 15. Report
Good News and Celebrations
- Councillor Desai won a cattle show at the Markdale Fall Fair.
- The Feversham Fall Fair was well attended.
- The Rocklyn Long-Table dinner was successful and the fall fair is coming up.
- $16,000 was raised at a fundraiser for a new Chatsworth arena.
- Two ministers visited Grey County this week. The Minister of Long-Term Care announced new and redeveloped beds in the area. The Minister of Education will be visiting Meaford to break ground for the new school.
- The Scarecrow Invasion is taking over Meaford again this year. The Family Festival is the Friday before Thanksgiving.
- The Meaford Harvesters Dinner was a great event celebrating the workers who come to harvest apples in Grey County.
- The Ontario Home Builders Association held their conference in the Town of The Blue Mountains. Councillor Soever attended and spoke of our attainable housing needs.
- The Neustadt and District Horticultural Society is celebrating their 35th anniversary.
The Clerk’s Department maintains the official record for Grey County. This publication is intended to provide meeting highlights only. For official records, please refer to the meeting minutes, or contact the Clerk’s Department at 1-800-567-4739.