Grey County Council met on Thursday, November 28 at 9:30 a.m. in the Council Chamber for the regular session of council. The meeting was immediately followed by a session of committee of the whole. A recording of the meetings can be found on Grey County’s YouTube Channel.
- Council accepted the minutes of the November 13 and November 14 County Council and Committee of the Whole meetings.
- Council accepted the minutes of the November 21 Long-Term Care Committee of Management meeting.
- Council discussed long-term care in Markdale and the potential to expand services by applying for new beds and exploring the opportunity to develop a campus of care in the future. Following the committee of management’s recommendation, Council decided to apply for 62 additional long-term care beds for Grey Gables. An application will be submitted to the Province and an update will be shared when the results are known.
Committee of the Whole
- Staff presented a background report on the 2020 corporate budget. Services levels will be maintained, and the budget will reflect changes in funding and rising costs of doing business. High assessment growth is helping to lessen the necessary tax increase but does create added demand for municipal services. Staff currently project a small increase equal to 1.46% for residential properties. This number will change. Report
- Grey County is seeing high assessment which helps lessen the overall tax increase but also adds more demand for municipal services.
- Council accepted the minutes of the November 6 Tourism Advisory Committee meeting. Tourism and economic development staff shared plans to promote local food, agri-tourism, and pride in local products in 2020. Presentation
- Marsh Canada Limited was selected as Grey County’s insurance provider for 2020. The cost is just over $800,000. Report
- Council approved updates to the traffic and parking by-law. 21 changes were approved through the report. Council also voted to reduce the speed limit on Grey Road 9 in Dundalk to 40 kilometres per hour. Further, council directed staff to bring to bring forward a report about a speed-reduction study. Report
- Council approved an entrance request for a home on Grey Road 1 in Owen Sound. Report
- Council approved the Southgate Meadows plan of subdivision. The plan includes 163 residential units and additional future lots. Report
- Council endorsed the Recreational Trails Master Plan. This plan will guide the way County forests and trails are enjoyed and enhanced. Report Plan
- Council renewed the by-law enforcement and forest and trail management contract with Grey Sauble Conservation Authority. Report
- Warden Selwyn Hicks gave his closing address. Address
The Clerk’s Department maintains the official record for Grey County. This publication is intended to provide meeting highlights only. For official records, please refer to the meeting minutes, or contact the Clerk’s Department at 1-800-567-4739.