Grey County Council met on Thursday, March 22 at 9:30 a.m. in the Council Chambers. The council meeting was immediately followed by a session of committee of the whole.
- Alternate councillors Brian O’Leary (Owen Sound), Peter Hambly (Hanover) and Terry Mokriy (Grey Highlands) were sworn in. Alternate councillors represent the mayor or deputy mayor if they cannot attend a Grey County Council meeting.
- Council accepted the minutes of the March 8, 2018 council and committee of the whole meetings. Council Committee
- Council accepted the minutes of the March 13 long-term care committee of management meeting. Minutes
- Grey County Councillors celebrated good news from their home municipalities.
- Councillors Barfoot and Boddy attended the grand opening of the new Foodland on the Sunset Strip in Georgian Bluffs.
- Holstein’s Maple Fest is approaching.
- World Autism Day is April 2.
- Councillor Boddy has wagered a bet with Matt Brown, Mayor of London, over the current OHL divisional series. Go Attack Go!
- James Hindle of Hindle’s Hardware in Clarksburg was featured in Ontario Farmer magazine for his contributions to apple farming.
- Agnes MacPhail will be celebrated at Grey Highlands Secondary School on March 22 to commemorate her appearance on the $10 banknote.
- The Mayor’s Attainable Housing Forum is April 6 at Meaford Hall. Tickets are $35 for a day of in-depth discussion with lunch and refreshments.
- John Watson of Southgate received the Michael Woodcroft Memorial Award at the Ontario Good Roads Association conference. John earned the highest average mark in Ontario over two years at the TJ Mahoney Construction and Maintenance Road School.
Committee of the Whole
- Grey County is extending the Rural Transportation Highway 10 pilot route until the end of May. This extension will cost about $10,000 and will allow the pilot to continue while the County awaits the results of a grant application. Report
- Staff were asked to prepare a report about the requirements of extending Grey Road 40 between Highway 6 and Highway 10. Council will consider the findings at a future meeting.
- Grey County has received funding to support six more affordable housing units. Grey County will sign a contribution agreement with the Owen Sound Housing Company to develop these units as part of their current project. Report
- Council received the annual remuneration report outlining how much each member was compensated in 2017. Report
- Grey County tax ratios will remain the same for 2018. Tax policies are discussed and set annually. Council reviewed how assessment changes have impacted contributions from different tax classifications (residential, agricultural etc.) over the past few years before accepting the recommendation. Report
- The planning department shared highlights of the feedback received so far on the new draft official plan. The plan has been shared with individuals who participated in Recolour Grey and with the local municipalities and other stakeholder groups. It has also been available on Grey’s website for public comment. A public meeting will be held on March 27 at the Grey County Administration building beginning at 6:30 p.m. Report Presentation
The Clerk’s Department maintains the official record for Grey County. This publication is intended to provide meeting highlights only. For official records, please refer to the meeting minutes, or contact the Clerk’s Department at 1-800-567-4739.