Grey County Council met on Thursday, July 11 at 9:30 a.m. in the Council Chamber. The council meeting was immediately followed by a session of committee of the whole. A recording of these meetings can be found on the County’s YouTube Channel.
- Council accepted the minutes of the June 27 Grey County Council and Committee of the Whole meetings. Council Committee
- Council accepted the minutes of the May 24 Board of Health meeting and the June 28 Board of Health report. Council was also updated about the modernization of local boards of health. Minutes Report
Committee of the Whole
- James Scongack, Bruce Power’s Executive Vice President of Corporate Affairs and Operational Services, spoke to Council about their operations and investments into local communities. Bruce Power produces low-cost electricity and is a global leader in the production of medical-grade Cobalt-60. Presentation
- Grey County’s member municipalities must create a community safety and wellbeing plan by January 1, 2021. This plan will help make Grey County communities safer and more sustainable. Grey County will partner with Bruce County, the Health Unit, local municipalities and other community and health organizations to form a local advisory committee to shape the plan. The first meeting will be held in September. Report
- The Province has approved funding for three school-based child care centres in Grey County. Facilities currently operating in Holstein, Durham and Owen Sound will be redeveloped with 28 new child care spaces being created. Grey provides licencing services to each of these centres. Council voted to support these important projects. Report
- Council awarded a tender for window replacement at an affordable housing location. Report
- Council discussed correspondence from the Mayor of Clearview Township regarding sideroad 26/27 and the proposed closing of Simcoe County road 91. Letter
Good News and Celebrations
- The Business Enterprise Centre staff gave an overview of Starter Company Plus, a grant training and mentorship program. Many of the program’s participants attended the meeting and answered councillors’ questions about their businesses and the challenges they face.
- Harbourfest is this Saturday beginning at 11:00 a.m. in Owen Sound. There will be activities for all ages, including displays, food trucks, music and more.
The Clerk’s Department maintains the official record for Grey County. This publication is intended to provide meeting highlights only. For official records, please refer to the meeting minutes, or contact the Clerk’s Department at 1-800-567-4739.