January 25 Council Highlights
Grey County Council met on January 25, 2024, in the Council Chamber and virtually on Zoom. The meeting was immediately followed by a session of Committee of the Whole. Recordings of the meetings can be found on Grey County’s YouTube Channel.
- Council accepted the minutes of the January 9 Long-Term Care Committee of Management meeting. Minutes
- Council accepted the minutes of the January 11 Grey County Council and Committee of the Whole meetings. Council Committee
Committee of the Whole
- Grey County is moving forward with the purchase of a motel in Owen Sound to expand access to the emergency shelter program. Council directed staff to move forward with the purchase which is expected to help create an additional 5,200 nights of accommodation annually for those experiencing homelessness. The motel will be purchased for $3,050,000 which will be funded from the Affordable Housing Fund. Operating the rooms in-house will reduce the per-night cost of support. Media Release
- Grey County is launching a Green Development Standards project with Dufferin and Wellington counties. Green Development Standards are rules implemented by municipalities to encourage more efficient construction. These rules may be voluntary or mandatory. The benefits of Green Development Standards include reduced greenhouse gas emissions, reduced energy consumption and costs, more efficient servicing, and buildings that are more resilient to climate change. Grey County is seeking federal funding to enhance the project. Report
- Council received an update on the Rural Recharge regional electric vehicle charging network partnership. This program will expand the availability of public electric vehicle charging stations. Grey County will work with Ivy Network, the successful third-party company implementing the project, to apply for Provincial funding to build a Level 3 Fast Charge station in Markdale. Report
- Council heard a delegation from resident Andrii Zvorygin and his thoughts about peak oil and the rural transition. Presentation
The Clerk’s Department maintains the official record for Grey County. This publication is intended to provide meeting highlights only. For official records, please refer to the meeting minutes, or contact the Clerk’s Department at 1-800-567-4739.