Council Highlights September 8, 2022
Grey County Council met on September 8, 2022 at 10:00 a.m. in the Council Chamber and virtually through Zoom. The meeting was immediately followed by a session of Committee of the Whole. Recordings of the meetings can be found on Grey County’s YouTube Channel.
- Council accepted the minutes of the August 11 Council and Committee of the Whole meetings. Council Committee
- Council accepted the minutes of the August 23 Long-Term Care Committee of Management meeting. Minutes
- Council received a report from James McCarthy of Cunningham Swan Lawyers regarding a closed meeting investigation. Two complaints were received that Grey County had held inappropriate discussions in closed session. The investigation concluded the meetings were held properly and the subject matter of discussions were appropriate for closed meeting discussions. Report
Committee of the Whole
- Vicky Watson of BDO Canada presented Council with the 2021 audited financial statements. Grey County received a clean audit report for 2021. A third-party audit is completed each year to ensure the County’s financial statements are accurate and to identify and significant risks. Presentation
- CAO Wingrove presented council with the final Strategic Plan update of the council term. The report highlighted progress made on various Council priorities. Council approved the report and recommendations. Staff will begin preparing a plan for a 2022-2026 draft Corporate Strategic Plan which will be discussed further with the incoming County Council. Report
- Council received the 10-Year Capital Forecast report. The report outlined the anticipated capital expenses (major purchases such as vehicles, building construction, studies, and road construction) needed to maintain services, set strategies and policies and ensure the long-term financial health of the County. The capital expenses identified for 2023 will be included in the upcoming budget for Council’s consideration. Report Presentation
- In a recorded vote, Committee of the Whole provided first approval for Official Plan Amendment Number 11. In 2021, Grey County updated its Growth Management Strategy. The Official Plan is being updated to reflect the new data and includes several additional housekeeping changes, including some that will strengthen climate change and affordable housing policies. Council discussed in detail a change that identifies areas in West Grey directly outside of Hanover as potential Future Secondary Plan areas. Identifying where future growth is most appropriate is important for many reasons, including planning for future servicing. Identifying lands for future Secondary plans is not a municipal boundary adjustment. Power to adjust a municipal boundary rests with the Province. Report
- Council received an information report about proposed fee updates by the Grey Sauble Conservation Authority. The report focused on Environmental Planning and Permit Fee updates. Report
The Clerk’s Department maintains the official record for Grey County. This publication is intended to provide meeting highlights only. For official records, please refer to the meeting minutes, or contact the Clerk’s Department at 1-800-567-4739.