Welcoming Week 2022
Welcoming Week is returning to Grey Bruce this month.
Canada became a member of Welcoming International in 2020. Welcoming Week is a global initiative that encourages individuals and communities to spread the message of inclusion and collective prosperity. It is an annual opportunity to recognize and celebrate the people, places and values that help everyone feel welcome and that they belong in their local community, no matter where they come from.
“Through Welcoming Week, our communities bring together neighbours of all backgrounds to build strong connections and encourage the importance of welcoming. Ensuring everyone, especially newcomers and immigrants, can thrive and feel welcome in Bruce County and Grey County,” said Bruce County Warden Janice Jackson.
From Friday September 9 to Sunday, September 18, the Grey Bruce Local Immigration Partnership (GBLIP) is coordinating and collaborating with community partners in hosting a variety of virtual and in-person events and activities for newcomers to learn about their communities and connect with long-time residents, as well as educational and informative videos about how to make Grey Bruce more welcoming will be featured on the GBLIP website.
Some of the activities include:
- Grey Roots Museum and Archives pay-by-donation day on Saturday September 10, with shuttle service provided by Grey Transit Route
- Complimentary day passes for newcomer families to visit Bruce County Museum and Cultural Centre on Saturday September 17 that include a guided tour
- Grey Bruce Settlement and Language Services is hosting two virtual community connect events
- Your Cultural Story (Monday September 12 p.m., 6-7 p.m.)
- Citizenship Trivia (Thursday September 15, 6-7 p.m.)
- Grey Bruce Newcomer and Immigrant Women’s Collective is hosting a virtual social gathering on Sunday September 18 from 7-8 p.m.
“Making social connections is one of the first steps towards planting your roots in a community. I encourage families and individuals who are new to our communities to enjoy the Welcoming Week festivities and take the opportunity to meet new people and learn about our local history and culture,” adds Selwyn Hicks, Warden of Grey County.
Events calendar and updates for Welcoming Week 2022 can be found at https://greybrucelip.ca/welcoming-week-2022, or contact May Ip at May.Ip [at] grey.ca (May[dot]Ip[at]grey[dot]ca) for more information.
In 2020, Bruce and Grey Counties received funding from Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to administer GBLIP - a collaborative, community initiative designed to improve the integration of newcomers in Grey Bruce. The GBLIP Settlement Strategy 2025 includes four strategic priorities and was the outcome of consultations with over 60 community stakeholders. It is adhered to by the Local Immigration Partnership Council that currently consists of 57 members. The full version of the Settlement Strategy is available for download on the GBLIP website