Notice of Complete Application and Public Meeting - Georgian Bluffs
What: The County and Township are seeking input on development applications within 120 metres of your property. The applications to the County and Township would consider permitting a landscaping business to locate and operate on the subject lands.
Site: Part Lot 16, Concession 5, Registered Plan 16R10169 Part 3 (Previous Derby Township),now the Township of Georgian Bluffs (“The Subject Lands”)
Public Meeting Date: Wednesday May 4th at 5:00 pm
Location of the Public Meeting: Virtual, via Microsoft Teams. There may also be an option for in-person meeting participation, subject to Covid-19 restrictions.
How can I participate in the Public Meeting?
Public participation is encouraged. To participate in the planned meeting, please contact Carly Craig, Deputy Clerk, by email at: ccraig [at] georgianbluffs.ca or by telephone at: 519-376-2729 ext. 602.
What if I can’t attend the Public Meeting?
You can learn more about the proposed development by contacting the County or Township offices, or by reading the materials on the website at the below link(s). You may choose to submit comments via letter or email after taking the time to learn about the proposed development. See the relevant contact information below:
Becky Hillyer, Planner
595 9th Avenue East
Owen Sound, ON N4k 3E3
Phone: 519-372-0219 ext.1231
Email: becky.hillyer [at] grey.ca
Jenn Burnett, Senior Planner
Township of Georgian Bluffs
177964 Grey Road 18
Owen Sound, ON N4K 5N5
Phone: 519-376-2729 ext.206
Email: jburnett [at] georgianbluffs.ca
What can I expect at the public meeting?
The public meeting is an opportunity for members of the public to learn more about the proposed development. Attendees have the opportunity to hear a brief presentation about the development, ask questions, and/or make statements either in favour of, or in opposition to the development. No decisions are made at this meeting, it is an opportunity to learn and provide feedback.
What is being proposed through the applications?
The subject property is approximately 20.2 hectares (50 acres) in size, but the development is proposed on approximately 6.83 hectares (16.88 acres) of land. The lands are designated as ‘Rural’ and ‘Wetlands’ in the County Official Plan. The purpose and effect of the proposed Official Plan Amendment would be to re-designate approximately 6.83 hectares of the ‘Rural’ portion of the subject lands to the ‘Space Extensive Industrial and Commercial’ designation. No development would occur within the Provincially Significant Wetlands designation, but some development is proposed within the adjacent lands of this feature. The proposal includes two buildings joined through a pergola enclosure. The ‘main building’ would be used for retail, administration and office space; while the smaller building would include a shop, storage space and washroom facilities. The application also proposes 89 parking spaces (including 53 visitor parking spaces and 2 barrier free; 18 employee parking spaces; and 18 spaces for truck and trailer parking along the rear north side yard). Outdoor storage for mulch, soil, stone, docks, and landscaping supplies is also proposed, along with two plant housing structures. Landscaped areas are proposed along the north and south side yards, within the parking lot, around the buildings and along Grey Road 18. One access point is proposed at the northeast corner of the subject lands, from Grey Road 18. Finally, a stormwater management pond is proposed along the southern property boundary.
The lands are zoned as ‘Rural’ (RU) and ‘Environmental Protection’ (EP) in the Township of Georgian Bluffs Zoning By-law. The Zoning By-law Amendment would implement the Official Plan Amendment and amend the Township’s Zoning By-law by rezoning approximately 6.6 hectares of the Rural zone to ‘Highway Commercial – Site Specific’ (C4 – Site Specific), while maintaining the Environmental Protection lands. The proposed exception will include the following:
- To permit additional uses including Open Storage, Accessory Bulk Sales Establishment and Contractors Yard;
- To permit a front yard setback of 17.5 m where 20 m is permitted; and
To permit a height of 11.5 m where 10 m is permitted.
A variety of studies have been undertaken to support the subject applications, including a Karst Assessment, Environmental Impact Study and Stormwater Management Study. A Planning Justification Report and sample architectural drawings have also been provided. A picture off one of the conceptual drawings has been included above.
Why is this Public Meeting being held and what are your rights?
Within Ontario, the planning and development process is open and transparent, where opinions from all individuals and groups are welcomed. By law a municipality must hold a public meeting. This meeting is one of your chances to learn about the development proposal and offer your opinions. Under the legislation governing this development process, which is Sections 22 and 34 of the Planning Act, you have the following rights:
- Any persons may attend the public meeting and/or make written or verbal representation either in support of or in opposition to the proposed Official Plan Amendment and Zoning By-law Amendment.
- If a person or public body would otherwise have an ability to appeal the decision of the County of Grey or the Township of Georgian Bluffs to the Ontario Land Tribunal but the person or public body does not make oral submissions at a public meeting or make written submissions to the County of Grey before the proposed Official Plan Amendment is approved or refused, or to the Township of Georgian Bluffs before the zoning by-law amendment is approved or refused, the person or public body is not entitled to appeal the decision.
- If a person or public body does not make oral submissions at a public meeting or make written submissions to the County of Grey before the proposed Official Plan Amendment is approved or refused, or to the Township of Georgian Bluffs before the zoning by-law amendment is approved or refused, the person or public body may not be added as a party to the hearing of an appeal before the Ontario Land Tribunal unless, in the opinion of the Tribunal, there are reasonable grounds to add the person or public body as a party.
- If you wish to be notified of the decision of the County of Grey in respect to the passing of the Official Plan Amendment, you must make a written request to the County, at the address noted on the previous page. Please note County Official Plan Amendment file number 42-03-540-OPA 14 or refer to the Hutten & Co Landscaping application in your correspondence.
- If you wish to be notified of the decision of the Council of the Township of Georgian Bluffs on the proposed zoning by-law amendment, you must make a written request to the Township of Georgian Bluffs at 177964 Grey Road 18, Owen Sound, ON and quote File Z-04-22.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact County or Township staff, who would be happy to answer any questions on these applications, or the planning process.
Notice dated this 29th day of March, 2022 the County of Grey.
A note about information you may submit to the Municipality or the County:
Under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001 and in accordance with Ontario's Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA), all information provided for, or at a Public Meeting, Public Consultation, or other Public Process are considered part of the public record, including resident deputations. This information may be posted on the Township or County websites, and/or made available to the public upon request.
Please be aware that the public meeting may be broadcast online and may be recorded.