Grey County Council met on Thursday, July 13 at 9:30 a.m. in the council chamber. The council meeting was immediately followed by a session of committee of the hole.
- Council approved the minutes of the June 29 council and committee of the whole meetings. Council Committee
- Council directed staff to bring back a report to committee of the whole clarifying when it is appropriate to separate a question based on Robert’s Rules of Order.
- Clerk Sharon Vokes received a certificate of appreciation from MP Larry Miller in recognition of outstanding contributions made to our community. The award is part of Canada 150 celebrations.
Committee of the Whole
- Council received the 2016 Asset Management Plan was. The plan helps Grey County determine the total value of all assets (roads, buildings, fleet vehicles etc.) and the funding level needed to maintain and replace the assets. As the Asset Management Plan progresses, staff will continue to collect more data about the condition of our assets. Grey County assets were valued at more than $850 million in 2016. Report 2016 Asset Management Plan
- Council approved a Terms of Reference for a committee of management for long term care. This committee provides oversight of the management of the County’s three long term care homes. Councillors Burley, Halliday, Patterson, Wright were elected. Report
- Staff outlined options for reconsidering the size and composition of Council, and the term of the Warden. Council received the information. Report
- There was a notice of motion for staff to bring forward a report about the costs and challenges of digital recordings of all meetings.
- Council received information about the changes and impacts of Bill 68. Bill 68 impacts the rules for conflicts of interest, closed meetings, codes of conduct and more.
- Grey County will issue an RFP to recruit an expert consultant to study the County-owned quarry. The study will identify how the quarry can provide the most benefit to Grey County. Report Addendum
- Staff provided information about Bill 138 and its impacts on the planning appeals process, the Planning Act, Conservation Authorities Act and more. Report
- The Develop Grey discussion paper was presented to Council. This paper is part of the Recolour Grey review and focuses on development and the economy. Paper
- Council accepted the minutes of the June 20 Economic Development Committee and June 23 Accessibility Advisory Committee meetings.
- Next meeting Council will vote on a notice of motion that the position of Warden be changed to a four-year term and be a publicly elected position, beginning in 2018.
- Next meeting Council will vote on a notice of motion to make the Deputy Warden a position elected by Council. Currently the Deputy Warden is the most recent past Warden sitting on Council.
- Council recognized Clerk Sharon Vokes and Director of Paramedic Services Mike Muir for their service to Grey County. This meeting was the last for both Sharon and Mike who are retiring this year. Sharon Vokes has served Grey County for more than 38 years and Mike Muir has served for more than 13 years.
The Clerk’s Department maintains the official record for Grey County. This publication is intended to provide meeting highlights only. For official records, please refer to the meeting minutes, or contact the Clerk’s Department at 1-800-567-4739.