Contact Us
A- / A+
Accessibility Tools
Date Posted
June 1, 2018

This week the Victorious Living Centre in Owen Sound was closed, leaving a handful of long-time occupants in need of new shelter. At Grey County, we support and work closely with a variety of partners who provide services to people when they are at their most vulnerable.

The individuals impacted by the VLC closure have been contacted and offered temporary housing or emergency shelter in the City and other resources. It is their choice if they use the assistance offered. The Victorious Living Centre was a privately owned and operated facility that is not meeting provincial compliance requirements for funding.  Many offers of assistance to correct the shortcomings have been made but not accepted over the years.

Everyone deserves a safe and sustainable place to call home. Grey County follows a ‘housing first’ approach to ending homelessness and finding vulnerable people long-term and sustainable housing.  Our vision is to have coordinated service that is people-centred, focusing on homelessness prevention and reducing reliance on emergency services.

When someone needs shelter they are connected to Y Housing for support. Y Housing receives funding from Grey County, through the Province’s Community Homelessness Prevention Initiative, to find temporary emergency shelter solutions and other housing-related supports for people in need. Grey County works with the clients to help them find sustainable housing of their own. Programs like the Sustainable Housing Benefit help by providing last month’s rent and utilities so tenants can afford to rent a place to live. Clients can also be added to the rent-geared-to-income housing waiting list. They will be notified when an appropriate unit in their chosen community becomes available.

Y Housing staff are available every day until 10:00 p.m. to provide emergency housing in Grey County. At this time there is no waiting list for emergency housing in Grey County.

Grey County is grateful for the ongoing support of partners in the community such as Y Housing, the City of Owen Sound, the Canadian Mental Health Association and others.

If you know anyone in need of emergency housing, please encourage them to call Y Housing at 519-364-3163 ext. 224. If you know anyone at risk of becoming homeless, they can contact Grey County at 1-800-567-4739.


For media inquiries, contact Rob Hatten, Communications Manager, at or 519-372-0219 ext.1235 or 519-373-1592.

Share this content