Grey Gables COVID-19 Outbreak Declared Over
Updated - November 24, 2022
We are pleased to report that the COVID-19 outbreak has been declared over at Grey Gables. We would like to thank Grey Bruce Public Health for their assistance in managing the outbreak. The dedication and teamwork at Grey Gables have been remarkable, and I thank you all for your commitment and support of our residents.
We continue to focus on the safety of our residents, families, and staff. Infection prevention and control measures remain in place. As a precaution, we will continue with the following protocols:
- Hand hygiene audits
- Daily rapid antigen testing for all staff, students, support workers, volunteers, Designated Care Partners, and indoor visitors.
Visiting has now resumed on all home areas for general visitors. Masks continue to be required indoors for staff, visitors and others entering long-term care homes. Recently shared, masks are not required when caregivers or visitors are alone with residents in their rooms. However, we support the Chief Medical Officer of Health's recommendation and strongly encourage that caregivers and visitors wear their masks at all times during their visit.
As a reminder, please refrain from visiting the home if you are feeling unwell. Please continue to follow the 3 Ws: Wash your hands frequently; Watch your distance (ideally 6 feet); and, Wear masks correctly. If you require additional information, please contact the home at 519-986-3010.
On Friday, October 28, Public Health has declared a COVID-19 Outbreak on the Valley View and Pine Ridge home areas at Grey Gables. We have received test results that have identified 3 new positive resident cases; 2 on Valley View and 1 on Pine Ridge, which now meets the definition of a confirmed COVID-19 outbreak. The residents and close contacts are currently isolating and receiving care.
Summary for October 28:
- 3 active resident cases; 0 resolved
- 1 active resident case; 0 resolved
We have the following to share:
- Enhanced infection control protocols and cleaning and disinfecting procedures are in place.
- Monitoring for new symptoms in all residents and staff in the outbreak areas, including twice a day screening with temperature checks.
- All staff are wearing N95, eye protection, and additional PPE as required on the affected home areas.
- Additional IPAC and Hand Hygiene Audits have been implemented.
- HEPA filter units have been implemented to maximize air quality.
- General visits have been suspended for Valley View and Pine Ridge home areas.
- Designated Care Partners may continue to visit but are required to wear N95 masks and eye protection, which will be provided upon arrival.
The safety and wellbeing of our residents, families, and staff is our focus. Thank you for your continued patience. Please do not visit the home if you are feeling unwell. Continue to follow the 3 Ws: Wash your hands frequently; Watch your distance (ideally 6 feet); and Wear masks correctly. We will continue to provide COVID-19 outbreak updates on Tuesdays and Fridays, unless there is a significant change. If you require additional information, please contact the home at 519-986-3010.