Grey County Cycling and Trails Master Plan
Grey County has developed a long-term, comprehensive Cycling and Trails Master Plan.
Grey County retained WSP Canada Group Limited (WSP) to support the development of the Cycling and Trails Master Plan. The plan incorporates previous work completed by the County and its partners including on-going projects such as the Recreational Trails Strategy. The final plan was developed using a three-phased process and was completed in Fall 2020.
Over the course of the study, the County and WSP consulted and engaged with members of the public, businesses, stakeholders and local municipal staff to help inform the development of the Cycling and Trails Master Plan. The combined input was be used to shape the outcomes, strategies and the recommended cycling and trails network contained in the plan.
Funding received from the Ontario Municipal Commuter Cycling (OMCC) Program and Regional Tourism Organization 7 is supporting the development of the Grey County Cycling and Trails Master Plan.
The final Grey County Cycling and Trails Master Plan was presented to Grey County Council on Thursday, October 22, 2020 and approved. It has been circulated with local municipal councils for endorsement.
Previous Workshops, Open Houses, and Info Sessions
A rescheduled Public Information Session took place on Thursday, March 12. Consultants from WSP and County staff were available to review the plan and answer questions.
This workshop provided an opportunity for County staff and the consultant team to meet representatives from local municipalities, technical agencies and stakeholder groups who will be responsible for the planning, design, implementation and operations of cycling and trails infrastructure and programming in Grey County.
The objectives of this workshop were to:
- Inform attendees on the study purpose, process and intended outcomes of the Cycling and Trails Master Plan;
- Engage with attendees and develop a better understanding of existing barriers and constraints for cycling and trails in Grey County;
- Engage with attendees and develop a better understanding of potential opportunities for new cycling and trail linkages in Grey County; and
- Engage with attendees and identify potential partnerships that could be explored through the development and implementation of the Cycling and Trails Master Plan.
More than 40 people attended the public open house on March 19. County staff and consultants led discussions around:
- Existing cycling routes and trails
- Opportunities and challenges with planning and promoting active transportation and recreation
- Barriers, gaps and potential links in the existing candidate route network.
On Friday October 4, a two-hour Municipal Partners Workshop was undertaken for the Grey County Cycling and Trails Master Plan. The purpose of this workshop was to provide municipal staff with an update on the study progress to date and to engage with staff on the draft proposed Cycling and Trails Network. The workshop was organized into three engagement / discussion activities with the goal of:
- Collecting input on the proposed cycling and trails network including facility types.
- Collecting input of preliminary phasing and priorities.
- Discussing and identifying opportunities for partnerships, coordination and potential funding sources to facilitate the implementation of the plan moving forward
The feedback collected at the Municipal Partners Workshop will be used to refine the proposed cycling and trails network. In addition, the input collected at the workshop will be used to shape the recommendations that will be developed for Cycling and Trails Master Plan. Approximately 25 people attended the workshop including representatives from each local municipality, County staff and the consulting team from WSP and Share the Road.