A- / A+

Please be advised this court accommodates both in person and virtual court appearances, if you wish to request a specific accommodation please contact us at poa@grey.ca 519-376-3470.

Virtual Court Information

Please reference the information below on how to attend remote court on the date/time indicated on your notice. If your matter is scheduled for trial you must attend by video. 

Audio/Video Connection Options Available:

To join by audio:
  • Please call 1-855-703-8985 (or local 1-204-272-7920 Canada) promptly 5 minutes before your start time.
  • You will be asked to enter the following Meeting ID Number: ‍‍942‍‍ 0346‍‍ 6908#
  • It will then ask you for a Participation ID, which you can press #
  • Passcode: 848672

To join by video

  • Enter this url in your internet browser: https://zoom.us/join
  • Meeting ID Number: 942 0346 6908
  • Passcode: 848672

Join Court immediately by clicking the following link:


For further information please call our office at 519-376-3470. 


Public and Media

Notice Regarding Public and Media Access to Ontario Court of Justice Proceedings during COVID-19 Pandemic

Using a Computer

POA Online look up system

Check the case status of your traffic tickets / provincial offences

This service allows you to quickly and conveniently check the case status of your traffic tickets and other provincial offences.

  • It may take 10 or more days after you are given an Offence Notice or ticket for your case to appear in the system.
  • The system does not include information about criminal matters or cases involving parking tickets, appeals, publication bans or young people.
  • For security purposes, your session will expire after 20 minutes of inactivity and all information entered will be lost. The system will provide you with a five minute warning before your session expires.

I just got a ticket, what do I do?

If your ticket is not a parking ticket

  • After receiving an Offence Notice (ticket) you have three options:
    1. Plead guilty by paying the fine.
    2. Request an Early Resolution meeting with the prosecutor to discuss the possibility of reducing the charge.
    3. Request a trial. Depending on what your ticket says, you may need to either mail in your ticket showing that you want a trial or you may need to visit a court office to file a request for trial.
  • If you do not choose one of the above options within 15 days of receiving the ticket, or if you do not appear for your trial or your early resolution date, a Justice of the Peace will review your case and may enter a conviction without you there.

If your ticket is a parking ticket

  • You have two options:
    1. Voluntarily pay the fine.
    2. Challenge the ticket in court. Depending on what your ticket says, you may need to mail in your ticket or visit a location specified on the ticket, usually the local parking tags office.

For more information, the Guide for Defendants in Provincial Offences Cases provides defendants with general information about the court process for provincial offences cases. It does not cover every circumstance that might arise in your case. Please note that this guide does not provide legal advice. You are strongly urged to get legal advice from a lawyer or paralegal about your legal options and the possible penalties you could face.

How can I find a Provincial Offences Court?

Visit the Provincial Offences Court contact page listings of provincial courts.

How do I fight a ticket?

You have the right to challenge your tickets in court.  To do this you must request a trial.  If your ticket has “1060” in the upper left corner and you wish to have a trial, sign option three on the back of the ticket and send a copy of both the front and back of the ticket to the court office by: email: trial@grey.ca; fax: 519-376-0638 or mail or hand deliver to: Provincial Offences Court, 595 9th Avenue East, Owen Sound, ON, N4K 3E3.  If your address is not correct on the face of the ticket then you must provide your correct mailing address in order to receive your notice of trial.  The Owen Sound and Walkerton Court DO NOT have first attendance however you will be provided an opportunity to meet with the Prosecutor on your court date, if time permits.

For more information, the Guide for Defendants in Provincial Offences Cases provides defendants with general information about the court process for provincial offences cases. It does not cover every circumstance that might arise in your case. Please note that this guide does not provide legal advice. You are strongly urged to get legal advice from a lawyer or paralegal about your legal options and the possible penalties you could face.

How do I request disclosure (officer’s notes)?

Anyone charged with an offence has a right to receive disclosure of the evidence that may be used at his/her trial.

Please complete the following form (View Disclosure Request Form) OR email disclosure@grey.ca Please note this could take up to 6-8 weeks.

How do I appeal a ticket

How do I pay for a ticket

We are accepting in person payments again. You can pay for a ticket online, by phone, or by mail.

Click here for payment details

What are provincial offences?

Provincial offences are regulatory (non-criminal) offences that include, but are not limited to:

  • Speeding, careless driving, or not wearing your seat belt;
  • Failing to surrender your insurance card or possessing a false or invalid insurance card;
  • Being intoxicated in a public place or selling alcohol to a minor;
  • Trespassing or failing to leave premises after being directed to do so;
  • Occupational Health and Safety Act and Ministry of Environment violations;
  • Noise, taxi and animal care municipal bylaws.

Why are there two amounts on my ticket?

One amount is the set fine and the second is the total payable. The total payable consists of the set fine, court costs and the victim fine surcharge. For ticketable offences, the set fine amount is ordered by the Chief Judge or the Regional Senior Justice of the Ontario Court of Justice as an amount payable by the defendant instead of going to court to contest the charge.  Defendants pay court costs for the service of the ticket and/or summons and upon conviction of an offence. The costs are authorized by Section 60 of the Provincial Offences Act and the amount is set by regulation.

What is the victim fine surcharge?

The provincial government adds a victim fine surcharge (VFS) to every non-parking fine imposed under the Provincial Offences Act. It is deposited into a special fund to help victims of crime. The amount of the VFS is usually 20 per cent of the imposed fine. For example, a $100 fine would result in a $20 surcharge. Fines over $1,000 carry a surcharge of 25 per cent.

What happens if I ignore my ticket?

  • If you do not respond to the ticket within 15 days, you may be convicted of the offence you are charged with. If you are convicted you would be required to pay the set fine, court costs and, if it is not a parking ticket, the victim fine surcharge by the due date.
  • Failure to pay the fine imposed upon conviction by the due date will result in one or more of the following:
    • For certain offences, including parking infractions, the Ontario Ministry of Transportation could refuse to issue or validate your vehicle permit
    • For certain offences, including speeding, your driver’s licence could be suspended
    • You will be charged an additional administrative fee
    • Your defaulted fine will be referred to a collection agency
    • Your defaulted fine information will be given to a credit bureau.

What if I need more time to pay a provincial offence fine?

  • If you need more time to pay a provincial offence fine, visit the court office noted on the back of your ticket.
  • If you just received the ticket but cannot pay right away, you will be required to see a Justice of the Peace to plead guilty but ask for extra time to pay.
  • If you have already been convicted, you will be asked to fill out a form(s) that will be reviewed by a Justice of the Peace. This form will require you to fill in all of the information regarding your ticket including how much you have paid so far and a specific date that you would like it extended to. Contact the court office at 519-376-3470

Why are municipalities responsible for Provincial Offences Courts?

The province transferred responsibility for the administration of the provincial offences courts to municipalities across Ontario.

What do Provincial Offences Courts do?

  • Accept payment of fines
  • Schedule trials
  • Provide intake services (e.g. walk-in guilty pleas, re-opening applications, extension of time to pay, meetings with prosecutors, etc.)
  • Manage certain aspects of the administration of appeals, such as inquiries, giving out forms and transcript production
  • Provide information for general inquiries about Provincial Offences.

How do I file a complaint

This is the process on filing a complaint - Information regarding filing a complaint

Information on Court Closures due to Inclement Weather

If the court and the Administration building is closed due to inclement weather, there will be a notice on our phone system as well as a posting on www.grey.ca and County of Grey Facebook Page after 7:00am.  Please call 519-376-3470 after 7:00am on your court date for information on court closures due to inclement weather.

How do I speak to someone about reducing my ticket or my charge?

File for Option 2 to request an early resolution meeting with a prosecutor.

What if my speed was reduced roadside by the officer? (Winlow Warning)

A: For roadside reductions in relation to speeding offences, please note that where the rate of speed was reduced at the roadside, if the matter proceeds to trial, the Prosecution may seek to amend the ticket to the higher rate of speed if there is evidence of the higher rate of speed (York  (Regional Municipality) v Winlow).


How many demerit points will I receive once I am convicted of a charge?

Demerit points are determined and administered by the Ministry of Transportation. To find out more information about whether your charge carries any demerit points and the number of demerit points, please go to the Ministry of Transportation website and select the "Driver Licensing" option.

NOTE: Neither the Prosecutor nor the Court can remove demerit points that may be associated with any conviction.

Where can I find information on the court process?

Please review the Guide for Defendants in Provincial Offences Court and consider speaking to a legal professional.

How do I contact the prosecutor?

The prosecutor can be contacted as follows:

(1) by emailing prosecution@grey.ca

(2) by calling 519-372-0219 ext. 1279

(3) in person or by mailing:

Prosecution Office

595 9th Avenue East
Owen Sound, ON
N4K 3E3

Where can I find the speed measuring device manuals?

Court Locations / Start Times

Court is presided over by a Justice of the Peace and held in Owen Sound and Walkerton at the following locations.  Your case will be heard in whatever order is deemed appropriate by the Prosecutor.  Be prepared to spend the full day.

Below are the physical locations of the court, but we are currently conducting the majority of our court hearings via Zoom. If you are unsure of how to attend your court appearance, please contact the court at 519-376-3470 ext 1260.

Provincial Offences Office - County of Grey Administration Office
595 9th Ave. East, Owen Sound ON N4K 3E3

Provincial Offences Office
215 Cayley St., Walkerton ON N0G 2V0


Provincial Offences courts deal with numerous non criminal matters covering over 120 different Acts with the most common violations falling under the Highway Traffic Act, the Liquor Licence Act and the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act.  All current legislation and regulations can be found on the link below.

Current Legislation and Related Regulations