Grey County Council met on Thursday, March 14 at 9:30 a.m. in the Council Chamber. The council meeting was immediately followed by a session of committee of the whole. A recording of these meetings can be found on the County’s YouTube Channel.
- Council accepted the minutes of the February 28 County Council and Committee of the Whole minutes. Council Committee
- Council accepted the minutes of the December 21 Board of Health meeting, and the February 22 Board Report. Dr. Arra advised council the 2019 budget has been approved and has balanced for 2019. Minutes Report
- Shawn Greig was sworn in as an alternate member of Council for the Township of Chatsworth.
Committee of the Whole
- May Ip from Making Grey Bruce Home provided council with a program update. Making Grey Bruce Home offers various supports for newcomers to Canada and training opportunities for service providers and employers. This program complement’s the County’s New to Grey initiative. Presentation
- Alison Govier spoke to council about the Community Drug & Alcohol Strategy being led by the Canadian Mental Health Association of Grey Bruce. Alison shared local addiction and substance abuse statistics and outlined activities underway to educate the public about substance abuse and resources in the community. Council had a thorough discussion and Dr. Arra provided additional input from a Public Health perspective. Year-end Report Presentation
- Council directed staff to explore ways to enhance paramedic service response times in areas of the County where response times are lower. Staff will bring a report to a future meeting.
- Representatives form BDO Canada LLP outlined the plan for the upcoming audit of the County’s 2018 financial statements . Their report is expected to be presented to Council at the May 23, 2019 meeting. Report and Audit Plan
- Council directed staff to update the Tangible Capital Asset Policy. This policy helps the County plan for the replacement of assets (including major items like roads, buildings, vehicles and much more) by applying realistic useful lifespans to each asset. Report
- Council received the 2018 Council Remuneration report outlining the pay, expenses claimed and meetings attended by councillors last year. Report
- Council received proposed revisions to an approved plan of subdivision at Cobble beach. Report Presentation
Good News and Celebrations
- The Grey Bruce Federation Agriculture held its annual elected officials’ meeting this past weekend. The event was well attended and tackled some important topic such as farm assessment.
- Blue Mountains Village is hosting the Rainbow Ski Weekend March 22-24, an international LGBTQ family event at the hill.
- Holstein Maplefest is April 13 and 14.
- The County is hosting a public open house on Tuesday, March 19 form 6-8 p.m. as part of the Cycling and Trails Master Plan project.
The Clerk’s Department maintains the official record for Grey County. This publication is intended to provide meeting highlights only. For official records, please refer to the meeting minutes, or contact the Clerk’s Department at 1-800-567-4739.