The Draft Plan was presented to Grey County Committee of the Whole on February 27, 2020 and can be found below. A public commenting period is open until August 14, 2020. To provide feedback, please complete the form by clicking the link below.
The County has retained WSP Canada Group Limited (WSP) to support the development of the Cycling and Trails Master Plan. The plan will incorporate previous work completed by the County and its partners including on-going projects such as the Recreational Trails Strategy. The plan will be developed using a three-phased process and is expected to be completed by Spring 2020.
Over the course of the study, the County will consult and engage with members of the public, businesses, stakeholders and local municipal staff to help inform the development of the Cycling and Trails Master Plan. Your input will be used to shape the outcomes, strategies and the recommended cycling and trails network contained in the plan.
Funding received from the Ontario Municipal Commuter Cycling (OMCC) Program and Regional Tourism Organization 7 is supporting the development of the Grey County Cycling and Trails Master Plan.
Click the image below to download the draft plan. This plan was presented to Grey County committee of the Whole on February 27, 2020 followed by a public commenting period and a public information session.
Public Information Session - March 12, 2020
A rescheduled Public Information Session took place on Thursday, March 12. Consultants from WSP and County staff were available to review the plan and answer questions.
Feedback on Draft Plan
Share your feedback on our engagement webpage. You can also send comments to email@example.com. Feedback and comments will be accepted up to April 3, 2020
Previous Workshops and Open Houses
Stakeholder Workshop – Dec. 6, 2018
This workshop provided an opportunity for County staff and the consultant team to meet representatives from local municipalities, technical agencies and stakeholder groups who will be responsible for the planning, design, implementation and operations of cycling and trails infrastructure and programming in Grey County.
The objectives of this workshop were to:
- Inform attendees on the study purpose, process and intended outcomes of the Cycling and Trails Master Plan;
- Engage with attendees and develop a better understanding of existing barriers and constraints for cycling and trails in Grey County;
- Engage with attendees and develop a better understanding of potential opportunities for new cycling and trail linkages in Grey County; and
- Engage with attendees and identify potential partnerships that could be explored through the development and implementation of the Cycling and Trails Master Plan.
Public Open House - March 19, 2019
More than 40 people attended the public open house on March 19. County staff and consultants led discussions around:
- Existing cycling routes and trails
- Opportunities and challenges with planning and promoting active transportation and recreation
- Barriers, gaps and potential links in the existing candidate route network.
Municipal Partners Workshop – October 4, 2019
On Friday October 4, a two-hour Municipal Partners Workshop was undertaken for the Grey County Cycling and Trails Master Plan. The purpose of this workshop was to provide municipal staff with an update on the study progress to date and to engage with staff on the draft proposed Cycling and Trails Network. The workshop was organized into three engagement / discussion activities with the goal of:
- Collecting input on the proposed cycling and trails network including facility types.
- Collecting input of preliminary phasing and priorities.
- Discussing and identifying opportunities for partnerships, coordination and potential funding sources to facilitate the implementation of the plan moving forward.
The feedback collected at the Municipal Partners Workshop will be used to refine the proposed cycling and trails network. In addition, the input collected at the workshop will be used to shape the recommendations that will be developed for Cycling and Trails Master Plan. Approximately 25 people attended the workshop including representatives from each local municipality, County staff and the consulting team from WSP and Share the Road.
What we’ve heard
Thank you to everyone who took time to participate in our public open house or complete our online survey. We received more than 450 submissions that will help shape the new plan!
More ways to get involved...
There are a number of way that you can get involved. The following are some of the ways that you can provide your input over the course of the study
- Check this page for updates around the study and about cycling and trails in Grey County.
- Attend public events and provide your input. Check this page regularly for updates on dates and times of events.
- Email or contact one of the study team representatives – please use their contact information below.
Manager of Tourism
519-376-3365 ext. 6110
Senior Project Planner
Other Programs & Initiatives
Grey County is developing a Climate Change Action Plan to understand the impacts of climate change and reduce our green house gas emissions.
The majority of municipalities of Bruce and Grey have come together with community partners to undertake Community Safety and Well-Being Planning.
Newcomers are an important part of our communities in Grey County. Coming from outside of the country or from other areas of Canada, newcomers bring culture, skills and knowledge to our communities and workplaces.
The 2018 Municipal Election and School Board election is Monday, October 22. For information about your local election, please visit your local municipality’s website.
Thank you to everyone who participated in the study. The final report has been prapared and is available below.
Grey County has completed the Recreational Trails Master Plan. This Plan is to help the County manage our forests and trails and plan for the future.