Grey County Council met on Thursday, November 23 at 9:30 a.m. in the Council Chambers. The council meeting was immediately followed by a session of committee of the whole.
- Council adopted the minutes of the November 9 county council and committee of the whole meetings. Council Committee
- Council passed the minutes of the November 14 long-term care committee of management meeting after some discussion. Minutes
- Warden Barfoot gave his closing address to council. Past Warden Kevin Eccles presented Warden Barfoot with his 2017 Warden’s pin commemorating his service. Closing Address
Committee of the Whole
- Grey County will appoint an integrity commissioner for the corporation for a five-year term beginning January 1, 2018. An integrity commissioner will help resolve conflicts, investigate complaints under the Council Code of Conduct and advise the public, council and municipal staff. Report
- Council directed staff to submit the draft new Grey County Official Plan to the province for review. The draft plan was created using feedback from the Recolour Grey project and is still open for public comments. A public meeting will be held in the new year and the plan is being circulated with local municipalities for comment. Report Draft Plan
- Grey County is working on a new paved shoulder policy for county roads. Council received a presentation supporting paving shoulders to improve safety for drivers and other road users, and to reduce maintenance cost. Grey County will consult with the public in early 2018 before creating a policy. Report
- Grey County will create an affordable housing fund to support affordable housing projects for our most vulnerable residents. As part of the transformation of the Grey County affordable housing system, Grey County will begin selling detached family homes in the Westmount area of Owen Sound. Proceeds from the sales of these proceeds will be used to build more housing units to meet the needs in Grey County. Units will only be sold as they become available. Report
- Grey County will offer a short-term $800,000 loan to Owen Sound Housing Company to help them start developing new affordable housing. This loan will be repaid by August 31, 2018. Report
- Council listened to a condition assessment of Grey County buildings presented by The Stonewell Group Inc. Condition assessments help Grey County plan for the maintenance and replacement of building features and equipment, such as roofs, heating systems etc. Report Presentation
- Council discussed speed limits on sections of Grey Road 119 and deferred a decision until the December 14 meeting. Report
- Grey County is projecting a year-end surplus of just under $1.7 million, or about 1.2% of the total budget. The final surplus/deficit will not be known until the end of the year. Report
The Clerk’s Department maintains the official record for Grey County. This publication is intended to provide meeting highlights only. For official records, please refer to the meeting minutes, or contact the Clerk’s Department at 1-800-567-4739.