Grey County Council met on Thursday, February 22 at 9:30 a.m. in the Council Chambers. The council meeting was immediately followed by a session of committee of the whole.
- Council accepted the minutes of the February 8, 2018 County Council and Committee of the Whole meetings. The Committee meeting minutes will be amended to include comments from Councillor Eccles about a recent farm tax rate deputation. Council Committee
- Council discussed the minutes of the February 13, 2018 Long-Term Care Committee of Management. The minutes were accepted. Minutes
- Councillor Fosbrooke congratulated staff on efforts to host multiple public open houses in March for Recolour Grey.
- Council celebrated the success of the new pilot transit route between Owen Sound and Shelburne. Story
Committee of the Whole
- Tony Yu from Lough Barnes provided Council with an update on the coordinated rural transportation pilot. Tony shared results from a recent survey and outlined details that will support an upcoming funding application. Presentation
- Council received a summary of 2017 road projects which included replacing multiple bridges and culverts and resurfacing many roads. Presentation
- Grey County is applying for community transportation funding. Council heard more about the opportunity and directed staff to submit an application. The City of Owen Sound is also interested in submitting an application for service between Owen Sound and Guelph. Council is supportive of Owen Sound’s application. Report Letter from Owen Sound
- Council was updated about a funding application to create more child care locations in Grey County. Report
- The Ministry of Education provides funding for Grey County Children’s Services. Grey County will update its service agreement with the Ministry to included funding for Journey Together, a new initiative from the Ministry of Education, which supports capital improvements to the OEYCFC operated by M’Wikwedong Native Cultural Resource Centre. Report
- Grey County ended 2017 with a budget surplus of almost $1.9 million or just over 1% of total spending. Council accepted a report outlining how this surplus will be distributed into reserves to help fund future needs. Report
- Council approved a report making minor changes to 2018 equipment purchases including a skid-steer, two pickup trucks and a loader. Report
- Council adopted a policy regulating election protocols for members of council. This policy aligns with the Municipal Elections Act and regulates councillors’ ability to use County resources for election purposes. It also impacts a councillor’s responsibilities if he or she is interested in running for provincial or federal office. Report
- Council received an overview of a proposed application for a subdivision with 393 housing units in Markdale. Report
- Council received an overview of a proposed application for a subdivision in the Town of the Blue Mountains. Report
- Grey County is partnering with students from University of Guelph Masters of Rural Planning and Development program to undertake a study on affordable and attainable housing in Grey County. Report
- Councillor Kevin Eccles provided clarity about his position on rising farm assessment and the impact on local farmers. Councillor Eccles explained he is open to discussing options for assisting farmers. Adjusting the tax rate for agricultural land impacts the other tax rates in Grey County and that needs to be considered.
The Clerk’s Department maintains the official record for Grey County. This publication is intended to provide meeting highlights only. For official records, please refer to the meeting minutes, or contact the Clerk’s Department at 1-800-567-4739.