On May 10, 2005, Ontario's legislative assembly passed Bill18, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA, 2005). It took effect upon royal assent June 13, 2005. This new Act is strong and effective legislation that will allow people with disabilities to participate in building a stronger province.
The purpose of the new act is to benefit all Ontarians by achieving accessibility for people with disabilities. This will be done by developing, implementing and enforcing accessibility standards concerning customer services, information and communication, goods, services, accommodations, facilities, buildings including the built environment and employment. Improvements will be phased in, in stages of five years or less, moving toward an accessible Ontario within 20 years (January 1, 2025).
Two types of standards are being established under the AODA, 2005; Common Standards which broadly apply to all persons and organizations include: Customer Service, Employment, Information and Communication, Built Environment. Standards that apply to a single sector to address accessibility in a particular sector include Transportation.
The Accessible Customer Service Standard regulations were approved by the government on July 31, 2007 with regulations coming into effect on January 1, 2008. Municipalities must comply with these regulations by January 1, 2010.
- Multi Year Accessibility Plan (DRAFT) (497KB)
- 2013 Accessibility Compliance Report - Summary (145KB)
- Accessibility Advisory Committee Agenda August 29 2013 (150KB)
- AAC Application Form (73KB)
- Grey County 2011 Accessibility Plan with Appendices (280KB)
- County of Grey Accessible Customer Service Pamphlet (19KB)
- 2009/2010 Grey County Accessibility Plan Amended March 24 2011 (452KB)
- Accessibility Advisory Committee Minutes April 14 2010 (18KB)
- Charles Beer Five Year Review Report of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (386KB)
- Ministry of Community & Social Services - Ontario Marks National Access Awareness Week (43KB)
- Ontario's Accessibility Plan - Backgrounder Ministry of Community and Social Services (40KB)
- Accessible Alternate Format Providers (606KB)
- Grey County Accessible Customer Service Compliance Report (14KB)
- Accessibility Advisory Committee Membership Application (71KB)
- Accessible Customer Service - Disability Types (326KB)
- Accessibility Standards for Customer Service - Summary of Requirements (2992KB)