Home Printer Friendly Page Increase Font Size Decrease Font Size

Referrals to ODSP Housing and Child Care

Ontario Works

Ontario Works (formerly General Welfare) has resources and referrals within its department to aid families, single-parent families, or individuals in receipt of basic financial assistance. Child care subsidy is available through Children's Services. It is available to those who qualify and are participating in an Ontario Works employment program working towards their return to employment. Social Housing applications are available to the public through the Grey County Housing Department for those individuals requiring help obtaining accessible or more affordable housing. Ontario Works Caseworkers can assist participants that have a substantial disability to apply for greater financial support and benefits to meet their needs through a referral to ODSP.

Child Care

Assistance for childcare is provided when Ontario Works clients are engaged in approved employment activities or are working.  The actual cost of formal child care or up to $600 per month per child for informal childcare can be reimbursed to support working families or to participate in an approved employment activity.  Childcare subsidy may be available to clients who are exiting Ontario Works for employment and no longer qualify for financial assistance.

Social Housing

Social Housing was one of the responsibilities devolved from the Provincial to the Municipal level. Bill 128, The Social Housing Reform Act, 2000 and associated regulations, establish the rules for administration and management of Social Housing in Ontario.  Grey County Housing is responsible for the direct management of 888 former Ontario Housing Corporation public housing units in Grey County. They are located at 32 sites located in 10 communities in Grey County;

Grey Highlands (Flesherton and Markdale)
Owen Sound
Southgate (Dundalk and Holstein)
The Blue Mountains (Thornbury)
West Grey (Durham)

Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP)

Ontario Works Caseworkers assist disabled participants acquire other financial support. A participant might be eligible if they have a substantial physical or mental condition that is continuous or recurrent and is expected to last for a year or more, or if this condition restricts a persons ability to care for themselves or function in the community or workplace.

To Apply for ODSP

Apply Directly to the local ODSP office:
Ontario Disability Support Program
1400 1st Ave West PO Box 697
Owen Sound N4K 5R4
(519) 376-1951 / 1-800-265-3790

Through the Ontario Works local office (If you are in immediate need):
595 9th Avenue East
Owen Sound ON N4K 3E3
(519) 376-7324 / 1-800-265-3119

Talk to your Ontario Works worker if you are already receiving basic financial assistance.
For more information on Ontario Works Programs and Services call (519) 376-7324.

You are Here: Home / Health & Social Services / Social Services / Social Assistance / Referrals to ODSP Housing and Child Care